Located in the center of Kyoto city, Kyoto University is one of the leading national universities in Japan and has a high ranking in the world. With the motto of cultivating global leaders for the 21st century, Kyoto University is always ideal for international students.
To create more opportunities for international students to deeply experience the language, culture, customs, and quintessence in Japanese education, Kyoto University has launched the International Undergraduate Program (iUP) for young people who wish to study at this famous university.
I. ABOUT KYOTO UNIVERSITY
– Founded in 1897
– National University General
– Ranked 17th among the best universities in the world (QS 2018); 1st in Japan and 5th in Asia (2019)
– 10 faculties for Undergraduate education, 18 faculties for Graduate education and 38 Research institutes
– Research orientation
– 11 Nobel Prize winners
– 22,700 students including 2,200 international students from 110 different countries
– Located in the ancient capital of Kyoto
II. OVERVIEW OF THE KYOTO iUP SCHOLARSHIP 2023
The Kyoto iUP’s training goal for students is to gain high academic knowledge, improve their Japanese proficiency, as well as to find the right motivation and worldview for their future goals.
The students will study Japanese and foundation subjects for the first 6 months, study liberal arts and science in English and Japanese in the 1st and 2nd grade, and study their majors in Japanese in the 3rd and 4th grade.
There are many support policies for students such as partial or full tuition waivers, admission fees, and scholarships up to 120,000 JPY monthly for students in 4.5 years of study (the monthly support of MEXT 2020 scholarship for undergraduate level is 117,000-120,000 JPY/month).
III. SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION
Number of enrollments: ~ 35 students for the October 2023 term
|Application fee||9.800 JPY||No exemption|
|Admission fee||28.200 JPY||Partial or total exemption|
|Tuition fee (6 months)||296.000 JPY||Partial or total exemption|
|Application fee||17.000 JPY||No exemption|
|Admission fee||282.000JPY||Partial or total exemption|
|Tuition fee (1 year)||535.800 JPY||Partial or total exemption|
Living expenses: 120,000 JPY/month
Scholarship duration: Maximum of 4.5 years
IV. REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS
Applicants must meet both of the following requirements:
|1||Applicants are not Japanese citizens and must have the resident status of student at enrollment.|
|2||Applicants must meet at least one of the following five requirements:|
|a) Have completed or expected to complete at least 12 years of education, from primary to high school, or less than 12 years of formal education approved by the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) recognition, in a country other than Japan before September 30, 2023.|
|b) Have completed or are expected to complete at least 12 years of education from primary to high school education at an educational institution in Japan, based on a non-Japanese education system and have been recognized by MEXT before the 30th of September 2023.|
|c) Have completed or are expected to complete 12 years of elementary to high school education at an educational institution accredited by the Western Association of Schools, Colleges, and Colleges School of International Affairs (ACSI), or Council of International Schools (CIS) before September 30, 2023.|
|d) Have been granted an International Baccalaureate, High School Diploma in Germany, French Baccalaureate, or a Certificate of Higher Education (GCE A-Level) before September 30, 2023.|
|e) Have an academic background recognized by Kyoto University as equivalent to a) above before the admissions process begins. Applicants must be at least 18 years old before April 1, 2024.|
V. ADMISSION PROCESS
Application time: From November 1 to December 2022 (Vietnam time)
Round 1: Admission is based on applications
Round 2: Interview
Applicants who pass the document screening stage will be interviewed in person or online. The interviews will be held from February to March, 2023.
Details of the interview will be provided to applicants by the end of February 2023.
– Candidates are responsible for checking their email for information about the interview and the registration process.
– Candidates are self-sufficient in traveling when participating in the interview.
Announcement of results: April, 2023
Confirmation of enrollment intent: The time will be provided by the school later
VI. LEARNING PROGRAM
- Before 09/05/2023: Confirmation of enrollment
- Mid-May to Mid-September of 2023: Learn Japanese in Vietnam. Successful candidates will be able to study Japanese for free at Jellyfish Education, under the sponsorship and training authorization of Kyoto University.
- Late September 2023: Arrive in Japan
- 01/10/2023: Enroll in the preparatory course
- February 2024: Take proficiency tests
- April 2024: Enroll in a university course
VII. DOCUMENTS NEED TO BE PREPARED
The forms (Forms A, B, C, and D) can be downloaded from the following website:
- Photos of the last 6 months
- Copy of passport
- Certificate of payment of application fee
- Official transcript
- Form A (Certificate of Graduation/Expected Graduation). Form A may be replaced with a copy of the original graduation certificate
- Form B (Assessment) is completed by a high school that the applicant is currently attending or most recently attended.
- English proficiency test results (TOEFL/IELTS) or Form C
- Standard test results
- Form D (Essay)
VIII. NUMBER OF STUDENTS TO KYOTO iUP SCHOLARSHIP OVER THE YEARS
IX. CONTACT INFORMATION
Kyoto iUP Admissions Office
Yoshida International House Bldg. (B1), Yoshida South Campus, Yoshida Nihonmatsu-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501, Japan
Or the only media representative authorized by Kyoto University in Vietnam:
Jellyfish Vietnam Joint Stock Company
Address: Room 1309, Floor 12A, CMC Building, Duy Tan, Cau Giay, Hanoi
Hotline: 0967 289 362